The name of Tsiistre comes from before the Great Northern War between Russia and Sweden around 1700, when five families named Zistre settled near a small body of water now known as Vetevaotus.
For many years, the buildings in the village centre were home to a school, shop and post office.
The former dairy building that belonged to Tsiistre Ühispiimatalitus is now home to Tsiistre Village Hall.
Tsiistre village has 22 farms: Mäe, Klaara, Hurda, Jalaka, Karukoopa, Pedäjä, Kitse, Kogre, Kooli, Kure-Pussa, Maasikmäe, Masti, Tamme, Prastuli, Remmeski, Tsiistre, Villa, Tsiistre side, Koorejaama, Tiisleri, Palomäe and Männiku farm.
Beaver's nest in Tsiistre village