As far as we know, the name Hürsi was first mentioned in Livonian tax records in 1638.
As elsewhere, the buildings of Hürsi village were built as close to each other as possible, in the early 20th century, because this fostered a greater sense of security. But one of the buildings caught fire from a cannonball at the beginning of the War of Independence and the whole village was destroyed. From 1920-1924, with stones hauled from the fields, and free logs from the state forest, the village was rebuilt.
Hürsi village is home to one of Tsiistrenukk’s landmarks – a windmill built in 1876 by practiced builders from Saaremaa island. Grain was transported here from parts nearer and farther, even from Misso manor. In 1942, the mill ground to a final halt. Later on it enjoyed a period under heritage conservation and, even though it is in ruins, it continues to draw the curious, from both local and more distant parts.
Hürsi village has 12 farms: Karamõtsa, Kalda, Kirsi, Hürsi, Mäe-Hürsi, Reinu, Sutsuniiidu, Veski, Väike-Küti, Väikeoja, Piiteri and Väike-Hürsi farm.