Külakoda - Village hall
COOPERATIVE ACTIVITY IN TSIISTRE
Cooperative activity in Tsiistre began with the founding of a public library society in 1921. On 27 January 1926, 31 farmers gathered in the Tsiistre schoolhouse to found the Tsiistre Milk Association. In winter of 1927-1928, logs were hauled for building a creamery and on 2 April 1929, cream began to be churned and milk powder produced. In spite of the economic crisis, Tsiistre fared well and none of the farms in the area were in economic difficulty until the end of the independence era. The association had 46 members and 70 dairy producers.
In the Soviet times, kolkhoz system replaced cooperatives, milk was still being collected here up to 1964. After that, a school, shop and local post office used the space here. In 1970-1984, the Misso sovkhoz made cheeseboards in the old Tsiistre dairy building and sold them to Pskov.
In 1993, Tiit Niilo bought the building from the legal successors of Misso sovkhoz.
In 2009, Tiit Niilo leased the building to the Tsiistre Society for ten years. Busy renovations started and we hope that by 2013 the venerable building will be completely renovated.
The village hall is once again open for community activities. Theatre performances, art exhibitions, an annual culture festival, concerts and crafts workshops are held here. Anniversaries for the village and individuals are commemorated here as well.
There is a free WiFi access point in the village hall.
The old creamery is once again open for community activities - welcome!